You are here
Annual Winter Conference
Every winter, more than 700 farmers, educators, agriculture service providers, and foodpreneurs gather for Future Harvest's annual conference -- an extra special three days of workshops, lectures, peer-to-peer experiences, delicious farm fresh meals, all-star lineup of speakers, and lots of learning and networking! View our Conference 2020 Photo Album here for a snapshot of the largest sustainable agriculture conference in the Mid-Atlantic.
Since 1999, Future Harvest has gathered Chesapeake region farmers, agricultural service providers, and foodies each winter for our annual conference. Farmers and supporters who attended our 2021 Conference, “Crisis and Resilience: Farmers Building a New Food Future," chose from four Pre-Conference intensives on Thursday and 40+ sessions, farmer-to-farmer rountables, and clinics on Friday and Saturday, organized into six tracks:
- Beginning Farming
- Crop Production
- Regenerative Agriculture
- Grassfed Meat & Dairy
- Business of Farming
- Environment, Community, & Policy
New in 2021, attendees were able to view recordings of nearly every single session for six months following in the event.
We regularly host keynote speakers and experts from our broader region. In January of 2020, we were honored to have Leah Penniman of SoulFire Farm and Dr. Elaine Ingham of the SoilFood Web deliver keynote addresses, and Bryan O’Hara of Tobacco Road Farm presenting a two-part deep dive into No-Till Farming. In January of 2021, keynote speakers Tope Fajingbesi of Dodo Farms and Chris Newman of Sylvanaqua Farms inspired more tha 500 farmers coming off the heels of a challenging 2020 season.
Keynote and plenary speakers over the years:
- Tope Fajingbesi, Dodo Farms (2021)
- Chris Newman, Sylvanaqua Farms (2021)
- Josh Volk, Slow Hand Farm (2021)
- Dr. Elaine Ingham, Soil Foodweb (2020)
- Bryan O'Hara, Tobacco Road Farm and Author (2020)
- Karen Washington, Rise & Root Farm (2019)
- Forrest Pritchard, Smithfield Farm and NY Times Best Selling Author (2019)
- Ellen Polishuk, Plant to Profit (2019)
- Dr. Ray Weil, Soil Health Expert, University of Maryland (2019)
- Gabe Brown, Brown's Raanch and Author (2018)
- Ira Wallace, Souther Exposure Seed Exchange (2018)
- Micheal Twitty, Chef and Author (2018)
The conference takes place in January and tickets go on sale in the fall before, mid-October. Each year, we offer several scholarships and volunteer work-trade opportunities to ensure the weekend is accessible to all. To stay informed about these opportunities, be sure and subscribe to our emailing list.
We will begin accepting Sponsors, Exhibitors, and session proposals in July 2021.
Many thanks to our sponsors and exhibitors, the Future Harvest staff and board, volunteers, conference committee, farmers who contributed to our locally sourced meals throughout the weekend, our presenters, our photographers, and of course to everyone in attendance.
And congratulations to the 2021 photo contest winners and the Farmer of the Foodshed Awardees.
- Conference photos
- Watch Leah Penniman's 2020 Keynote address
- Read about our Farmer of the Foodshed Award winners
- See the 2021 conference program and more on our 2021 Conference page
What People Are Saying
To learn more about the conference, submit a proposal, volunteer, exhibit, or become a sponsor, contact: