Great Day Gardens is a market garden and wood-fired bakery in Forest, Virginia run by Michael Grantz and Arden Jones. We are committed to providing nutrient-dense food to the Lynchburg area while engaging our community in a more regenerative and equitable food system. 2021 is our 7th year in business, supplying vegetables, sourdough bread, live plants, cut flowers, herbs, pastries and pizza to a weekly farmers market, 40-member CSA, online store and a small handful of wholesale accounts.
Michael Grantz manages the bakery and brings his passion for regenerative agriculture and nutrition into the kitchen. Our bread is leavened naturally, and nearly all baked goods include a sourdough starter. We are known in Lynchburg both for our rustic hearth loaves and our commitment to local and ethical sourcing. Weekly products include hearth and pan loaves, croissant, bagels, brioche and cinnamon rolls. Occasional and seasonal items include pita, focaccia, cookies and seasonal tarts. We also make Neapolitan-style pizza using farm ingredients about twice a month through the warm months.
Everything is made from scratch in a converted garage and baked outdoors in a direct-fired masonry oven designed for commercial bread production. We source grain exclusively from regional farms and mills, using mostly sifted stone-milled flour with some white flour. Michael also sits on the board of the Common Grain Alliance, a group of bakeries, mills, and farms in the mid-Atlantic working to develop our regional grain system.
We are looking for an Assistant Baker who shares our passion for artisan baking, nutrient-dense food, and regenerative local agriculture. You will be working both independently and with Michael in producing bread and pastries to distribute on Wednesdays and Saturdays to our various markets.
This is a seasonal, full-time position ideal for someone looking to hone their sourdough and wood-fired baking skills. The baker will receive a unique training in firing and baking with a direct-fired masonry oven, as well as managing the variability of local stone-milled flour. We use a 20-quart mixer to incorporate our dough and a sheeter for laminated pastries. All kneading, dividing, shaping, oven-loading, and dishes are done by hand.
Position is open immediately and requires a commitment through December 22, 2021. Continuation into 2022 is possible upon mutual agreement. Bakery production will be from Tuesday to Saturday each week. Most days start at 7:30AM, with Saturday morning pastry bakes starting at 3:00AM.
- Scaling, mixing, kneading, shaping and baking bread. Feeding and maintaining the sourdough starter.
- Mixing, laminating, and shaping pastries.
- Hand-washing dishes, sweeping and mopping the floor, organizing bakery space, maintaining a clean, healthy workspace.
- Baking and packaging breads and pastries.
- Firing the oven, splitting and hauling wood, raking coals out of the oven.
- Cooperate with Michael to improve processes, troubleshoot problems with tools and equipment, and develop new formulas.
- Prep, bake, and serve pizza (occasional weekday evenings).
- Occasional tasks: staffing farmers markets, farm work, driving to pick up ingredients.
COMPENSATIONthis position is : hourly, $7.25/hr to $15/hrAPPLICATION INSTRUCTIONSEmail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some experience in bread, pastry, or other food service preferred. Interest in learning new techniques and skills.
- Passion for building food systems based on ecology and social equity.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and work up to 10 hours on your feet, occasionally outdoors in adverse weather.
- Willingness to receive training in new techniques, follow detailed instructions, ask relevant questions, and collaborate on new product development.
- Ability to work at a quick production pace while keeping quality high and solving problems that arise.
- Ability to maintain a clean and healthy workspace.
- Confidence to bake independently after training.
This position is open until filled. To apply, please send an email to email@example.com that includes the following:
- Subject line with “YOUR NAME – Assistant Baker.”
- Résumé with references.
- A short email explaining your goals, qualifications, and interest in the position.
Qualified candidates will be contacted by email, followed by a phone or in-person interview.