Farmer of the Foodshed
Each year, members of the Future Harvest community work together to nominate and award a "Farmer of the Foodshed" in the Chesapeake region and honor them at our annual conference. These farmers are innovative, profitable, and engaged with the local farm community. They are environmental stewards, who have shown longevity and continue to invest in their soil health, and share that knolwedge with the next generation of farmers. They are the farmers that our newer farmers aspire to be, and we are thrilled to recognize their contirbutions with this award.
Congratulations to our 2020 Award Recipients: Judy Gifford and Robert Frye, St. Brigid's Farm; Barbara Lamborne and Dennis Fuze, Greenstone Fields; Sarah Ryder and Tom Paduano, Flying Plow Farm
The deadline to nominate a farmer for our 2021 awards has passed. Join us at the conference to meet the winners!
The farmer should be exemplary in at least three of the following criteria:
- Profitability; strong business acumen
- Environmental stewardship
- Longevity (how long they’ve been farming)
- Contributes to their community
- Shares knowledge with other farmers
The awardee must be able to attend our 2021 virtual conference.
The awardee may not presently be on the Board or part of a farm owned by a board member or a co-worker of a board member.
- Judy Gifford and Robert C. Frye, St. Brigid's Farm
- Barbara Lamborne and Dennis Fuze, Greenstone Fields
- Sarah Ryder and Tom Paduano, Flying Plow Farm
- Jack and Becky Gurley, Calvert's Gift Farm
- Joan and Drew Norman, One Straw Farm
- Forrest Pritchard, Smith Meadows
- Ron Holter, Holterholmes Farm
- The Moutoux Family, Moutoux Orchard
- The Mason Family, Mason's Heritage Farm
- Vic Priapi, Priapi Gardens
- Denzel Mitchell, Strength to Love II
- Aaron Cooper, Cutfresh Organics