One Acre Farm - Farm Apprentice Position
18608 Wasche Road
Dickerson, Md 20842
Contact: Michael Protas
One Acre Farm is a small-scale vegetable farm that sells as a CSA for 150 +/- shares since 2008. We started with one acre 12+ years ago but as of last year purchased a 34-acre farm in Montgomery County’s Agricultural Reserve.
We grow our vegetables on approx. 5+ acres and are Certified Naturally Grown. Our season runs from April to Thanksgiving. We currently don’t do any hoop-house or greenhouse work but would consider adding those things into our model later.
Start Date: April 1, 2019
Participate, full time, in all aspects of vegetable production including bed preparation, transplanting, weed and pest management, harvesting, washing and packing and record keeping. Apprentice will also help feed/water and rotate our flock of hens, collect and wash eggs.
- 1-2 full growing seasons of vegetable farm experience required.
- Willingness to perform physical, demanding work daily. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing circumstances.
- Willingness to listen carefully and follow instructions when engaging new work.
- Ability to self-direct and manage multiple farm tasks.
- Working compatibility with a variety of personalities and diversity of co-workers, balanced by a confidence to work alone.
-Organizational skills a must!
- Driver's license
Starting at $12/hour; experience-dependent. There is an opportunity to live on the farm, if interested. Rent and home details available upon request. Home is in the fantastic Poolesville School District.