Farm Alliance of Baltimore seeks an experienced farm assistant to help us build our new farmer training program and demonstration farm. This person will assist the Deputy Director with building and daily operation of living systems and farm production at the new Farm Alliance of Baltimore demonstration farm and help operate the Baltimore Urban Farm Academy program. Reports to the Deputy Director. Frequent travel to South Baltimore (Curtis Bay) is required. Other duties as assigned. Commitment: Half time (18 hours/week) to start, with possibility for full-time by July 1, 2021. (Full-time employment at the Farm Alliance of Baltimore is 37.5 hours per week.)
● Manage crop production site for new farmer training program. Includes seeding, bed prep, soil amendments, planting, weeding, irrigation, pest control, and harvesting of crops in 2021 and 2022.
● Maintain records about crops, including yields, planting dates, amendments applications, etc.
● Manage inventory and purchase soil amendments, pesticides, herbicides and chemicals accessible to training farmers.
● Train all trainee farmers in proper post-harvest handling practices and food safety protocols.
● Set up and operate irrigation equipment.
● Repair and maintain farm site tools and equipment as needed.
● Manage tools, equipment library and tool maintenance.
● Train trainee farmers in set up and maintenance of irrigation systems.
● Manage composting system.
● Set up and coordinate training field days, including assisting host farm with preparations, creating signage, and cleanup of host farm afterward.
● Drive trainees to field days and farm visits as needed.
● Assist Program Coordinator with distributing crop seedlings to farms.
● Assist Program Coordinator with resourcing and operating Waverly Market stand as needed.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Knowledge and experience of market gardening and/or commercial agriculture production of at least 3 years is a must
● Ability to complete manual labor including sitting, bending, and lifting and/or moving items weighing from 20-50+ pounds. Good vision abilities are needed for close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
● Must be able to work during periods of adverse weather and extreme conditions.
● Current driver’s license and clean driving record is a must
● Excellent verbal communication skills required.
● Excellent time management ability preferred.
● Excellent ability to manage stressful situations and high pressure situations preferred.
● Excellent ability to manage and de-escalate conflict or potential conflict preferred.
● Must have references.
Compensation and Benefits:
$20 per hour for 18 hours per week. Possibility to move up to full time salaried position in July 2021. Generous paid time off including 7 paid sick days and 7 paid vacation days per year for hourly employees, plus 13 paid holidays per year.
Position Start Date: Immediately
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter (email is OK) to Deputy.email@example.com . Be sure to put “JOB APPLICATION “ in the subject line. Materials may also be mailed or delivered to: Farm Alliance of Baltimore, Attn. Denzel Mitchell, 4709 Harford Rd., Baltimore MD 21214. Include phone numbers and names of 2 references who can tell us about your professional experience. EEO Statement: FAB provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.